110-136 (EVEN NOS) FLEMINGTON STREET, FORMER SPRINGBURN COLLEGE INCLUDING RANGE TO EAST (Ref:33612)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 29/01/1990.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 605 674.
James Miller, 1903-9 as offices for North British Locomotive Company; converted to engineering college 1962-5. 4 tall ranges about open square court, rich Edwardian baroque street elevation is symmetrical, red ashlar (remainder mostly clad in brick, courtyard clad with glazed tiles), 4 storeys including full attic storey, giant centrepiece and outer pavilions, intermediate 2-window bays with giant pilaster strips cladding steel framework; Ionic-columned entrance, broken pediment with flanking figures, tympanum carving includes locomotive; 3 light windows in centre with columned mullions; original glazing throughout, some glazing bars form a pediment shape. Other outer elevations plainer, series of roof-pitches each lit on N face. Principal rooms also have Edwardian Baroque ornament; 3 windows above main stair first world war memorial by William Meikle and Sons and unveiled in 1921. Impressive polychrome brick walls to courtyard.
Low range to E red brick; round-arched openings are large enough for locomotive to pass through.
Locomotive works opened by Lord Roseberry 10 September 1909 and closed 1962.
Statutory address updated 2010 following information from Glasgow City Council who noted that Springburn College (North Glasgow College) has moved out to a nearby purpose-built building. Formerly listed as '184 Flemington Street (formerly known as 110-136 (Even Nos) Flemington Street), Springburn College including Range to East'.
NORTH BRITISH LOCOMOTIVE CO LTD (1912 catalogue reprinted 1970); BUILDER, March 16th 1908.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.