510 CROOKSTON ROAD, LEVERNDALE HOSPITAL, TOWERVIEW UNIT (Ref:33597)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 516 627.
Malcolm Stark and Rowntree, 1890-5, won in competition; additions by D barclay, 1903. Large hospital block, linkied ranges in symmetrical lay-out, and on hill-top site, tall asymmetrically-placed square tower a prominent landmark. Renaissance. Stugged/bull-faced ashlar with contrasting polished dressings; slate roofs; mainly 2/3 storeys, tall assembly hall central at N and set forward has buttressed flanks, pyramidal-roofed angle pavilions at N and full-height mullioned and transomed bay . Semmingly free-standing ranges either side are linked by lower ranges and corridors; former (Leven and Shiel at W, Cuillins and Nevis at E) are identical, with 3 tall storeys and long N fronts, each with 2 advanced and gabled bays with mullioned and transomed windows, promintent roof ventilators over roof junctions, remaining top floor windows break through eaves and have pedimented dormer heads; outer ranges (Etive, Grampian and Morven) are set at right angles at E and at W ends and are, broadly, similarly treated, while smaller ranges (Affric and Thurso), set in angles between N and outer ranges, also face N and have central wall-head gables with paired tall wall--head stacks. S range (administration) has 2-storey and attic centre with semi-octagonal outer bays rising above wlalhead with finialed bell-cast roofs; blocked in-antis doorpiece, pedimented dormer heads at top floor, flanking wings a storey lower.
Memorial stone dated 3.10.1893. Formerly Hawkhead. Listed Category A for tower and hall.
BN 7.2.1890; Builder 28.9.1895; Building Industries 15.6.1903 (for Barclay).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.