6 ROWAN ROAD CRAIGIE HALL, DUMBRECK (Ref:33583)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 27/04/1978.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5554 6393.
John Honeyman, 1872; additions and fittings by John Keppie and C R Mackintosh (Honeyman and Keppie), 1892 on 2-storey Renaissance mansion with 3-window entrance front and 4-window garden front towards Bellahouston Park. Ashlar (partly painted), chanelled rustication to ground floor. Hipped slate roofs, moulded cornice, left hand tripartite 1st floor, splayed bay ground floor, shouldered architraves linked to 1st floor sill band. Central doorpiece with coupled Ionic columns and single pilasters, entablature with balustrade to 1st floor window, arched entrance with architrave, carved key block and flanking oval oculi. Lower link building to servants' wing runs left, tall balustraded parapet, arched ground floor windows; pavilion and block with coat of arms over 2 storey splayed bay with art nouveau glazing. Garden front has details as before, plus 2 storey splayed bay with Ionic and Corinithian colonnettes, carved aprons with the date 1872; enriched pediment above main cornice. 1 storey billiard room advanced at right end, winter garden with steep glazed roof behind.
Sumptuous interiors with original neo-classical detailing to ceilings, enriched cornices, embossed frieze, painted dados, window splays and 6-panel doors, inlaid and tiled floors by Honeyman; outstanding entrance hall, staircase and first floor corridors with gilded detailing, marbled walls (rusticated with lion mask frieze on staircase, marbled Corinthian columns to entrance and 1st floor screens, guilloche detail to architraves. Exceptional fittings added by keppie and Mackintosh include art nouveau overdoors in hall with tulip friezes and open pediments; fitted library cases incorporating swelling colonnettes, sinuous shelving etc; elaborate wood fittings in drawing room; mahogany organ case (dated 1897) in the music room with characteristic Mackintosh finial matched by elaborate chimneypiece at oppostie end of room. Other remarkable fittings include art deco light fittings by Lalique, art deco mirror fireplaces, bathroom fittings, stained glass windows etc.
Built for Sir Thomas Mason, later refitted by Green of Green's Playhouse.
The celebrated "Tontine heads" are lossely arranged at entrance. Category A for remarkably complete interiors of national importance.
Honeyman's Office Books.
Inscribed date of 1872 on W front.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.