40-61 (INCLUSIVE) CARLTON PLACE AND 16 NICHOLSON STREET (Ref:33499)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5891 6458.
Peter Nicholson, 1802-4. Classical 3-storey and basement 35-bay pedimented terrace. Ashlar front, channelled on ground floor. Curved Doric portico with balustrade and fanlight doors in advanced 6 bay centre, divided by 7 pilasters rising through 2nd and 3rd floors. Doric entablature. Main block to left has 4 original half-pilastered doorpieces. 1st floor 2-pane windows break through string course having cast iron balconies. Block to right was identical until 1902, when
architect R Duncan gave Nos 55-61 a new double pilastered doorway, blocking 2 old doorways and a mansard roof with cast iron brattishing.
Pavilion at No 40, 5 bays and Ionic aedicule door, the only original pavilion left. 7 bays front 16 Nicholson Street with a lower 3 bay continuation.
Interior: No 50-53, Laurieston House has exceptional plaster work with columns, pilasters, swags and cherubs in vestibule and stair well. Rubble rear with projecting curved stair turrets.
Cast iron railings and bootscrapers to front. Slate roof. Ridge stacks.
Originally 40 bays. No 63, pavilion, was replaced in 1908 by
a 5-storey red sandstone building, now 2 storey and not
listed. Listed A for quality of Laurieston House plasterwork.
Upgraded B to A 17.6.86.
Doak (ed) 1977 18, Gomme and Walker 1968 p.723. SR Archives
D of G 2/2253, 1/8765, 2/1152.
Elspeth Gallie in SCOTTISH FIELD Aug 1959.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.