2060 POLLOKSHAWS ROAD, POLLOK HOUSE INCLUDING SERVICE COURT, FORECOURT, GARDEN WALLING AND PAVILIONS (Ref:33455)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 548 618.
Insufficiently documented, but architect likely to have
been somcone based in the west, such as Allan Dreghorn.
Dated 1752. Large piend-roofed box-type house with
additions by Sir R Rowand Anderson from 1890 onwards
for Sir John Stirling Maxwell, these essentially
comprising the wings and entrance hall (1890),
reconstructed forecourt to NE, garden pavilions to SW
(1903), offices to NW.
Pollok House, together with the contents and grounds,
was presented to the people of Glasgow by Mrs Anne
Maxwell MaDonald in 1966 and is now a museum, the
grounds a public park.
ORIGINAL HOUSE: 3 storeys over half-raised basement -
fully raised to garden front - plain elevations,
rusticated quoins, keystoned lintels at ground and 1st
floors; off-set over base course and - unusually - over
band course at 1st floor; advanced, pedimented
centrepiece to forecourt (NE), single wall-plane to
garden (excluding off-sets), wide centre bay with
entrance in Venetian window arrangement, sculptured
swags either side of each upper floor window (3 further
plain bays each side). Deep main cornice; bell-cast
slated roof with stacks at leaded platform, and over
flank wall-heads. Internal layout departs from the norm,
centre entrance hall full depth of house and well-lit to
garden, columned screen; also cross-ways full length
corridor; open main stair on right hand on entering
(concealed service stair occupies corresponding position
on basically symmetrical plan); dining and drawing rooms
of equal size, separated by hall, both facing garden
and containing some of the high quality original
decorative plasterwork in the house.
ADDITIONS: (Anderson's work respected the original house
so far as could be): sympathetic restrained Gibbsian/
William Adam style; FLANKING WINGS (library to SE,
billard room to NW) are single storey with Venetian
windows to the garden like the garden doorway; ENTRANCE
HALL is D-ended on plan and re-uses original doorcase,
double flighted stair within; KITCHEN at NW has roof-
dome, large cast-iron range; OFFICES extending NE have
pedimented round-arched pend, with sculptured ornament,
facing court and driveway. FORECOURT is enclosed by tall
walls, channelled piers at intervals and at gateway, all
with urns; decorative cast-iron gates.
Terraced GARDEN to SW with ogee-roofed pavilions,
POLLOK HOUSE (Guide book); Sir John Stirling Maxwell,
SHRINES AND HOMES OF SCOTLAND (Sir John - mentioned
above - attributed the house to William Adam [d. 1748],
but that ascription now seems doubtful).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.