70 AND 72 GLENCAIRN DRIVE, POLLOKSHIELDS BURGH HALL, INCLUDING LODGE AND GATEWAY TO MAXWELL PARK (Ref:33411)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 568 630.
H E Clifford, 1888-90 (1890 datestone) with additions and alterations by Thomas Somers, Office of Public Works, 1935. Elaborate Scots renaissance composition with burgh hall, park gate and lodge all included. All built of rock-faced red ashlar with sculptured detailing including dormer heads, polished dressings, slated and red-tiled roofs. HALL set in wooded garden, open to road; composed with dummy tower house at right (N), projecting low range to front with entrance right in gabled open porch with sculptured tympanum, oriel towards left derived from Earl's Palace, Kirkwall; gabled hall extreme left with long flank to driveway, windows with blocked arches, axial ventilator; some leaded glass.LODGE opposite park driveway, L-plan, tall 2-storey, shallow gables, roll-moulding, curved roof over low projetion in park; square GATEPIERS have pulvinated bands, pryamidal finials, screen walls.
Ornament includes masonic symbolism; Lodge 772 met in the lower hall. Upgraded B to A 13.5.93.
BA April 21 1893. Dean of Guild 1935/257 for alterations by Somers. Petition dated 14 June 1935, completed 6 December 1935. Additional information courtesy of Iain Paterson, City of Glasgow District Council.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.