301 ALBERT DRIVE, THE KNOWE, INCLUDING LODGE, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES, GATEPIERS AND GATEWAY (Ref:33371)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5746 6335.
Alexander Thomson, in stages, begun circa 1852; built for John Blair, merchant, in a setting then rural. Well-preserved Thomsonesque villa with Romanesque detailing and tower, 1/2 storeys, broad-eaved shallow- pitched gabled (slated) roofs of various levels, round-arched openings with rusticated arches, shafted mullions. Complex plan, original part roughly L-shaped with open porch; more than doubled in size by (lower)
additions (1855-8) to W and to N and extending E entrance front. Snecked stone-cleaned yellow rubble and ashlar dressings; mainly sash windows (original glazing); stacks mostly with Thomsonesque chimney cans. Tower is a storey higher, square lights below eaves, elaborate metal roof finial. Interior ornament also survives mainly intact. Billiards room added to W circa 1880.
Gabled single storey and attic T-plan LODGE, of 1852-6 is similarly detailed, 3 arcaded gable-head lights, above porch, face Albert Drive; distinctive gatepiers with ornate original timber gates; BOUNDARY WALLS to S (Ayton Road) and to E (Sheilds Road) were rebuilt circa 1873, to enclose a greter area; fireclay balustrade at S, and distinctive wide gateway.
MacFadzean, 1979, p.32ff (including plans etc); Glasgow at a Glance.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.