Historic Scotland Data Website
Results New Search

1 PACIFIC QUAY AND RETURN ELEVATION TO GOVAN ROAD, FORMER PRINCE'S DOCK HYDRAULIC POWER STATION (Ref:33360)

This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the Glasgow Burgh. It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.

Group Items: N/A, Group Cat: N/A, Map Ref: NS 5690 6500.

Description

Burnet, Son and Campbell, dated 1894. Mixed Italian and Romanesque brick with red ashlar details. Single-storey 7-bay pump-house with Romanesque blind arcade over windows. Parapet raised at S corner with blocked oculi. 2-storey elevation to W with arched ground floor. 6 1st floor windows and corbelled cornice. Arch at S behind small flat-roofed section. 2 large arched doors to N, the smaller under a balustrade, the larger in gable end of tall pumproom. Slate roof and long ridge ventilator.Fine square heavily machicolated accumulator tower with pilaster strips and tall round-headed windows. Arched door to W under C. N. T. shield. Curved wall with balustrade. Octagonal chimney, originally 172'6" cut down to 55' in 1927, with stone course and sculpted panels of the Four Winds. Curved front wall inscribed "Clyde Navigation Trust". Interior of lower section divided by original arched brick wall. Cast-iron columns and steel beams. Small platform and large vertical cast-iron pipes near W wall. Accumulator tower retains its original hydraulic equipment in 2 tall rivetted cylinders. Windows have original glazing patterns.

Notes

Built for the Clyde Navigation Trust, James Deas, Resident Engineer, to power the travelling cranes in Prince's Dock (opened Sept. 1895). List excludes modern flat-roofed extension to W.

References

Hume (1974) pp 127,237 S.R. Archives T-CN 14/464/14/11 (partial demolition of chimney, 1927).

© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: hs.listing@scotland.gsi.gov.uk. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.

Results New Search

Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.

ACategory A

Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).

BCategory B

Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).

C(S)Category C(S)

Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).