840, 860 GOVAN ROAD AND RETURN ELEVATION TO PEARCE STREET, PEARCE INSTITUTE (Ref:33352)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5536 6580.
Sir R Rowand Anderson, designed 1892, built 1902-5. Early 17th century Scots Renaissance style; ashlar. W elevation of MacLeod Hall: tall 6-bays with columned and richly pedimented exit inscribed "Quit ye like men". Modern door, in keeping with the original. Octagonal projecting stair tower with bipartites and ogee roof. 4 tall transomed bipartites with rich pediments between buttresses. Slate roof and central louvred timber belfry under lead cupola with balustrade. Big curvilinear gables to N and S. Govan Road, S elevation: advanced end of MacLeod Hall fronted by curvilinear gable with a fully rigged carvel finial and obelisks. Ground floor; 3 tripartites with "The Pearce Institute" inscribed in tympana of segmental pediments. Large mullioned and transomed pilastered window with a corbelled cill and ornate strapwork pediment with 2 flanking canopied niches. 2-storey central block (tea room and Lithgow Hall); 5 ground floor bipartites. Corbelled balcony over with cast-iron railing, reached by 2 small doors. 1st floor, 4 pedimented dormer heads and central wallhead stack with segmental pedimented clock projecting on consoled bracket. Ridge stack. Main entrance richly carved with obelisks in advanced 2-storey and attic gabled bay. Small ground floor window; 1st floor ogee-capped oriel, small strapwork headed windows in 1st floor and in crowstepped gable topped by stack. Pearce Street elevation: stepped 2-storey and attic and 3-storey. Large mullioned and transomed stair window. Pedimented dormers and dormer heads, crowstepped gable and stack. Pend bay links the northern crowstepped gable block with "the cottage" at ground floor, Stephen and Fairfield Halls above, having canted oriel with ogee cap. N elevation ashlar, with walls facing court of yellow brick. Interior: simple entrance hall, large main stair with modern mural. Simply tiled and panelled corridors; MacLeod Hall, high panelled dado, gilded armorial pediments over windows in transverse arches. Barrel vault panelled ceiling. Organ centrepiece with fine wood and metal work. Lithgow Hall, 1st floor on Govan Road, frontage, medium sized, panelled dado, fireplace inscribed "Welcome", and pointed vaulted ceiling. Fairfield Hall, 1st floor at rear, Pearce Street, panelled dado and ceiling, stone fireplace, oriel. Stephen Hall above, identical but with mansard roof and oculus. Gym, plain with large windows to yard. Restaurant, panelled dado, simple fireplaces. Billiard Room, top-lit from high mansard roof, panelled dado and original art nouveau suspended light fittings. Many smaller committee rooms and others of social history interest, particularly the Demonstration Room, with large fireplace and steep rows of school benches to teach female Govanites cooking skills.
The P.I. was given to Govan by the widow of Sir Wm
Pearce, 1835-88, owner of Fairfield shipyard and MP for
Govan. It was administered by Govan Old Parish Church
and the main hall is named after its minister Rev Dr
John MacLeod 1875-98, but was non-sectarian.
Now run by a Development Committee.
Of great importance to Govanites and of interest to social
Doak (ed) (1977) 117
S R Archives D of G H-Gov 37/652 (1903 and 1906)
Brotchie (1905) p195-6
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.