816, 818 GOVAN ROAD, 1, 3 WATER ROW, FORMER BRITISH LINEN BANK, AND FLATS (Ref:33351)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5543 6576.
James Salmon and Son, and J G Gillespie, 1899. Glasgow-style, 5-storey, 3 by 2-bay with canted corner bay. Ground floor curved corner entrance by Derwent Wood, a boldly sculptured trireme's prow with BLB on sails between 2 winged "Winds" sitting on Corinthian capitals.
Water Row elevation: 2 arched windows between columns with lively capitals by Johan Keller. Stair entrance and plain modern shop front to N; cornice. 1st floor; 3 large depressed arched windows between pilasters. Floors above have Art Nouveau detailing to window heads.
N bay has shallow canted windows at 2nd to 4th floors, tripartites under steep pediment flanked by wallhead stack. Deep projecting eaves over central bays. Corner bay windows canted out at 1st and 4th floors.
Remarkable lead-covered crown at top with flanking wallhead stacks.
Govan Road elevation: arched window between columns with lively capitals. Large altered plain window to W; cornice. W bay advanced 1st floor tripartite depressed arched and pilastered window. 2nd and 3rd floor bipartites in ogee pediment. 4th floor low round-headed keystoned window. Parapet. Middle bay, plain small and large windows 2nd to 4th floors under projecting eaves. E bay, 1st floor elaborate ogee pediment to window.
All windows have original glazing except some at 4th floor and the ground floor.
Bank interior modern.
Category A for its sculpture.
Doak (ed) (1977), 157 Service (ed) (1975) pp239, 243. Dean of Guild Drawings, dated 1 September 1897, in Worsdall Collection (Ref G2). Information courtesy of Iain Paterson, City of Glasgow District Council.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.