18 CLYDEBRAE STREET, GOVAN GRAVING DOCKS (Ref:33336)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/05/1987.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5615 6550.
An outstanding graving dock complex without parallel in Scotland. 1869-98, 3 major dry docks, associated quays, capstans and bollards, pumphouses, workshops and other ancillary buildings, retaining and boundary walls, ramped accesses and stairs. The dock walls and quay edges are of grey granite, the working surfaces whinstone setted, and retaining walls and ramp sides are of cream sandstone. Cast-iron gatepiers. DRY DOCKS No 1 Dock (at North): by James Deas and Alex Lister, 1869-75 551' long, 72' wide at entrance, depth to sill 22'9". Stepped sides and curved end, unusually curving towards bottom. 9 sets of stairs with grooves for materials. Paved base. Modern steel caisson gate to Clyde. There is a series of associated buildings, mostly to N; pump house and sluice houses, ashlar on rusticated base with round-headed openings, with former boiler house to N and pump room to south. The pumps are sited below the building. There is a square accumulator tower with 4 oculi, heightened in brick c.1895. The sluice houses are small square buildings of similar construction. At the entrance two hydraulic capstans by the Anderston Foundry Co. No 2 Dock (Centre): by James Deas, 1883-6; 575' by 67' by 22'9". Stepped sides and vertical curved end. 4 stairs giving access through tunnels. Slides for materials. Steel caisson gate and folding bridge, opening off Clyde. Small flat-roofed brick pumphouse on S side of entrance, which is flanked by hydraulic capstans as at No 1 dock. No 3 Dock (South): by James Deas, 1894-8; by far the longest of the three, 880' by 83' by 26'6". Stepped sides and vertical curved end. 8 stairs give access through tunnels. Projecting piers in the centre with curved recesses for caisson, to subdivide dock; caisson now removed. Steel caisson gate and folding bridge opening off Prince's Dock canting basin. Associated PUMP HOUSE (at SE end of site) terra-cotta brick, with red sandstone dressings, in two sections, eastern flat-roofed with electric pumps in basement, gantry crane, tiled interior. Western part wider, pedimented gable, slated roof with ridge ventilator, housing workshop and hydraulic pumps. Dated 1895 on cast-iron commemorative plaque. On North quay, two workshops, one on either side of No 1 pump house. On West, woodworking shop (formerly harbour workshop) and offices, 2-storey 14-bay red and yellow brick with pend at west end and weighbridge (A & W Smith 1889). On east, mechanics' shop (c.1895), 1 storey 10-bay, red and white brick with iron-framed round-headed windows and wrought-iron framed roof. Doors with glazed fanlights on N. Also series of ancillary buildings ranged round the site, these of differing dates and built mostly of red or yellow brick. Small steel Scotch derrick crane at N.
Built for the Clyde Navigation Trust during the years when
the Clyde yards led the world in the building of
sophisticated merchant ships, so the complex is of architectural/historic interest in an international context,
of major significance in terms of the history of the world
shipbuilding. Docks Nos 1 and 3 were each the deepest
in Britain when built and could take the largest ships
SR Archives T-CN/14/291, T-CN/14/464/14/3, T-CN/14/464/4/7, T-CN/14/464/5/4. J F Riddell, CLYDE NAVIGATION p.136.
Hume (1974) p.262.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.