140, 142 BALGRAYHILL ROAD, INCLUDING REDCLYFFE (Ref:33288)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/03/1977.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 6060 6836.
Charles Rennie Mackintosh, 1890, for his cousin, James Hamilton. Symmetrical 2-storey double villa with massive canted and piended outer bays, main roof swept down between over 2 lower, close-spaced narrow bays. Stugged and snecked red ashlar, polished dressings. Single and mullioned windows, cross windows in canted bays at ground. Originally small-paned upper sashes, lower sashes mostly 2-paned, house nearest S (no 140) with leaded upper panels. Architraved door on either flank. Stacks; slate roofs with bracketed eaves. Set behind low boundary wall, wrought-iron gates and railings with curved longitudinal rails; pair gatepiers at S.
Described by Howarth as Mackintosh's first commission. James Hamilton married in 1890 and in that year moved into one of these houses ("Redclyffe").
Howarth, CHARLES RENNIE MACKINTOSH, 1952 (rep 1977), pp21-3; plates 4 and 5B. Additional information by courtesy of Iain Paterson, City of Glasgow Council.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.