STOBCROSS QUAY, STOBCROSS CRANE, OTHERWISE KNOWN AS FINNIESTON CRANE (Ref:33285)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/04/1989.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5710 6517.
1926, completed 1931 by Cowans Sheldon and Co Ltd under the
supervision of Daniel Fife Mechanical Engineer to the Clyde
Navigation Trust. 175 ton giant cantilever quayside crane.
Lattice, steel girder tower, with the only example of a
personnel lift ever fitted to a British crane; the tower
supports a roller track on which rotates the asymmetrical
cantilever truss gib with motor room and counter weight at
the short end. The only British crane ever fitted with a
horizontal rail for the Jigger hoist handling light loads.
In March 1928 proposals to build a high level of bridge over
the Clyde, which would have seriously interfered with the
working of the Clyde Navigation Trusts Finnieston crane, led
to the commissioning of a new crane 500 feet downstream for
which the Corporation agreed to pay 85% of the $69,000 plus,
cost. The bridge was not built but the Trustees got their
crane. It is also of considerable interest that Arrols, the
local firm and the one with the greatest experience in the
field of giant cantilevered cranes did not win the contract.
Of the 42 or so giant cantilever cranes built throughout the
world Arrols constructed 40. In Britain 27 of these giant
cranes were built, 15 survive, 7 only remain in Scotland.
The Stobcross Crane, apart from the original features noted,
is one of only 3 cranes of the type built for port
authorities. Because of its prominent site it symbolises
more than any of the others, Glasgow's past industrial
greatness. It is not (1988) in full working order.
Information from Mr Brian Newman. THE DOCK AND HARBOUR
AUTHORITY 1932 August No 142 vol xii pp 2-7.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.