68 WEST GEORGE STREET, 12 NELSON MANDELA PLACE, ROYAL FACULTY OF PROCURATORS (Ref:33235)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5899 6552.
Charles Wilson, 1854. Venetian Renaissance. 3 bays to West
Nile Street, 5 to West George Street, 5 + 1 return bays to
Nelson Mandela Place. Painted ashlar, channelled at ground
floor, vertically tooled at angles and around windows. Plinth
rising to cill band of ground floor. All windows casement,
roundheaded. Pilastered entrance to No 68 West George Street,
arched with sculpted relief spandrels. Keyblocks with carved
heads of law lords by A Handyside Ritchie at ground floor.
Ground floor triglyph frieze, guttae, mutule cornice. 1st
floor balustraded balcony, blind at N and E bays in Nelson
Mandela Place; panelled pedestals with rosettes. 1st floor to
West George Street: coupled Corinthian columns framing
roundheaded windows in sculpted cavetto recesses. Venetian
windows to West Nile Street and 1st 3 bays from S on Nelson
Mandela Place flanked by single Corinthian columns;
shell-headed niches in outer bays. Richly sculpted eaves
frieze, dentil band, modillion cornice; balustraded parapet.
N remaining bay simplified on upper floors. Entrance at No 62
West George Street repeating detail of No 68; blind window
above; 1st floor semi-engaged colonnade stops at 3rd bay from
S on St George's Place.
INTERIOR: Genoese staircase with cast-iron balustrade, carved
handrail. Coved, columned library at 1st with original
fittings and furniture.
Library extension T Harold Hughes 1940.
APSD. Plans SNMR dated 1854. Gomme and Walker, 1968, pp 11,
93, 121-2, 255. Information by courtesy of Buildings of
Scotland Research Unit. Doak (ed) 1977, No 80.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.