8 NELSON MANDELA PLACE, FORMER ATHENAEUM (Ref:33234)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5899 6552.
Sir J J Burnet (Burnet Son and Campbell) 1886. 3 storeys, sunk basement; 5 bays arranged 1-3-1. Polished ashlar, channelled at ground floor. Similar architraved entrances in outer bays with diminutive tripartite windows above; architraved basement lights with pilaster mullions, wrought-iron grilles, and linking bands; 3 single-light sash and case windows in recessed margins at ground floor. 1st floor solid parapet with panelled pedestals, breaking forward on consoles to form shallow balconies in outer bays in front of plain recessed windows; outer sculpture groups surmount corniced channelled pedestals; central 3-bay section giant order of superimposed Ionic columns framing arched windows glazed at 2nd floor, springing from wide pilasters; main cornices breaking forward to form sculpture podia, plain small circular windows in outer bays. 3rd floor tall frieze; single, standing sculpted figure by John Mossman on each column (Flaxman, Wren, Purcell and Reynolds). Eaves cornice, parapet, end stack. INTERIOR: only fragments survived the 1932 fire and later reconstruction.
B N April 2, 1886. Doak (ed) 1977, No 103. Illustration before removal of some of exterior detail. July 9, 1898. D Walker in A Service, THE ORIGINS OF EDWARDIAN ARCHITECTURE. Gomme and Walker, 1968 pp 200-1, 255, 297.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.