4 NELSON MANDELA PLACE (Ref:33233)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5904 6553.
A N Paterson (Campbell Douglas and Paterson), 1908-10.
Edwardian Baroque. 5-storeys and attic, sunk basement, 3 x 5
main bays. Polished ashlar, channelled at ground floor. 1st
floor deep corbelled balustraded balcony broken at 1st bay
from E, Nelson Mandela Place; modillion cornice; balustraded
parapet with raised, corniced dies. Open pedimented,
keyblocked aedicule windows at angles in attic.
ELEVATION TO NELSON MANDELA PLACE: giant open segmentally
pedimented central doorpiece with lion mask corbels, plain
flanking lights. 1st and 2nd floor shallow canted central
tripartite bay flanked by vertically linked bipartite
windows; ground floor windows corniced with incised
architraves; 1st and 2nd in decorative architraves, 3rd floor
2-light, architraved windows with stone transomes; 4th floor
architraved single lights.
ELEVATION TO BUCHANAN STREET: repeats Nelson Mandela Place
window arrangement with central advanced 3-bay section
flanked by pilaster strips.
INTERIOR: finishes by Wylie and Lochhead with Guthrie Wells
and Scott Morton; plasterwork by George Bankart.
Built as The Liberal Club, became the Royal Academy of Music
and Dramatic Art (latter moved to new premises 1987).
Upgraded B to A 21.7.88.
B I Oct 16, 1907. A Dec 9, 1910. Studio Year Book 1909. Doak
(ed) 1977, No 134. Information by courtesy of Buildings of
Scotland Research Unit. Gomme and Walker, 1968 pp 225, 297.
SR Archives, D of G 2/1909.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.