50 WATERLOO STREET WITH 81 WELLINGTON STREET, FORMER WATERLOO STREET POST OFFICE, PARCELS OFFICE (Ref:33214)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5858 6536.
W T Oldrieve (Office of Works), 1903-05. 5-storey classical purpose built Post Office building occupying half of street block. 7 main bays with 3 and 4 main, unequal return bays to E and W. Polished ashlar, channelled at ground floor; single, ashlar return bay continuing decoration of main block; corner bays advanced and set in Corinthian pilaster strips. Set on plinth. Casement windows with glazing bars. Main entablature with graduated architrave, plain frieze, dentil band, modillion cornice advanced over pilasters; balustraded die parapet with aedicules over advanced sections.
MAIN ELEVATION TO WATERLOO STREET: bays arranged 1-5-1; tall, recessed ground/1st floor windows with ashlar transoms outer bays 2nd and 3rd floor windows linked in vertical architraved panels, windows divided by pilaster strips with sculpted friezes; 2nd floor windows keyblocked with aprons; 3rd floor keyblocked with panelled aprons; 3 corbelled, architraved windows above; end bays surmounted by pediments. Central bays: ground and 1st floor continuous tripartite pilastered openings, vehicle entrances in outer bays (ground). Giant, keyblocked glazed arcade separated by Corinthian pilasters, rising from 1st floor cornice; inset tripartite windows with column mullions, transoms and 4th floor thermae windows.
EASTERN RETURN TO WELLINGTON STREET: bays arranged 1-1-1 with 2-light outer bays and 3-light centre; central post office entrance; Gibbs surround segmental pedimented doorpiece with columns and coved, sculpted tympanum; flanking and 1st floor windows repeat main elevation; central bay upper floors as Waterloo Street end blocks. Outer bays; ground floor and 4th floor as main block. 2nd and 3rd floor windows linked in architraved keyblocked pedimented panel, cill band at 2nd floor, aprons at 3rd.
WESTERN RETURN TO WEST CAMPBELL STREET: single outer bays detailed as Wellington Street; central bays as Waterloo Street with vehicle entrances.
BOTHWELL LANE: single return bays detailed as main elevation, remained simple glazed back.
Upgraded B to A 21.7.88
BJ Nov 28 1906. BI Jan 16 1903. Doak (ed) 1977, 132. Gomme and Walker, 1968, p 297. S R Archives, D of G 1/9706.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.