901, 903 SAUCHIEHALL STREET (Ref:33184)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5712 6593.
Charles Wilson, 1853. 3-storey and basement classical tenement block on corner site; 7 x 6 bays; unequal on Sauchiehall Street. 2nd bay from N on Kelvingrove Street blind. Painted ashlar, channelled at basement.
Double entry to main door flat and close at head of stone stair. Continuous 3-bay portico with Corinthian columns, coupled at centre, pilasters, balustraded parapet; leaded glass fanlight at No 901. Ground floor dentilled cornice. All windows 4-pane sash and case, in recessed architraves on upper floors; in ground floor Doric pilastrade with sculpted heads, moulded cills, chamfered aprons, moulded architraves, plain frieze. 1st floor cill band, windows corniced, consoled with sculpted head brackets. 2nd floor cill band, lugged architraves, cornice, linked by continuous string course. Sculpted, floral eaves frieze; eaves modillion cornice. Balustraded parapet with piers. Adamitic solid central section with frieze. 3 dormers to Sauchiehall Street. Piended slate roof. Corniced wallhead stack to Kelvingrove Street. End stack.
INTERIOR: includes No 901 curving column screen in left rear angle room. Corniced, coffered ceilings.
Formerly Wellesley Place (1860 O.S.).
Gomme and Walker, 1968, p 196.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.