200 ST VINCENT STREET (Ref:33162)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5859 6554.
Sir J J Burnet (Burnet, Son and Dick), 1926-9, major internal remodelling 1986/7. Modern classical, 7-storey and basement commercial building on corner site. 5 x 5 wide bays. Ashlar, granite plinth. Central entrance with flanking attached columns supporting lettered panel with relief sculpture "NORTH BRITISH & MERCANTILE BUILDING" Diocletian window above, flanked by Doric columns supporting (later) crouching figure sculpture; figure sculpture above entrance on carved bracket, St Andrew, by Archibald Dawson dated 1927 flanking figure circa 1952. Ground floor plain arcade, on coupled Doric columns with rosette necking in outer bays at St Vincent Street; ground floor cill band, corniced windows, with stylised keyblocks recessed between ground and 1st floor, below Diocletian windows, diminutive aedicule with open segmental pediment in central light above entrance bay. All windows casement with metal glazing bars. 2nd floor windows with moulded cills, keyblocked above every 3rd window. Slightly projecting plain 3rd floor entablature forms 4th floor cill band. 6th floor cill band, every third window keyblocked with voussoirs. Bold cornice with dentil band broken in 1st bay from S at West Campbell Street by corniced wallhead stack slightly advanced and rising from base plinth. Sculpted cartouche with lettering "NB&M" on SW angle between 5th and 6th floors. White brick rear elevation with ashlar dressings to coupled ground floor arcade. Boundary grey granite are with bold piers walls to St Vincent Street.
Burnet's last design in Scotland. Former North British and
Doak (ed) 1977, No 178. Gomme and Walker, 1968, pp 209, 295.
S R Archives, D of G 1926/177
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.