110, 120 ST VINCENT STREET AND 29-37 (ODD NOS) RENFIELD STREET AND WEST GEORGE LANE, BANK OF SCOTLAND (Ref:33156)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5883 6549.
James Miller, 1925-27. Modern classical 8-storey and
raised basement commercial building. 9 x 6 bays.
Ashlar. Plinth forming stylobate for giant order of
engaged Greek Ionic fluted colonnade in antis to St
Vincent Street, pilastrade to Renfield Street; wide
angle pilasters with rosette necking; basement set
behind colonnade storey above with channelled masonry,
continuing 1 bay to eastern return; plain windows in
deep reveals, tall metal glazed section lighting banking
hall at raised ground floor; metal frieze; 1st floor
windows plain, bold entablature with dentil band metal
plain 2nd floor windows with elaborate Greek key
frieze above forming cill band to 3rd and supporting
giant pilastrade rising to 5th floor with metal panels
between floors; rosette frieze and cornice. 6th floor
with plain bipartite windows, rosette frieze and very
elaborate main cornice. 1 bay northern return to West
George Lane continues main elevation detailing. Rear
elevation with twin towers of white glazed brick, metal
catwalks at 3rd to 6th floors.
INTERIOR: Marble columned banking hall (lowered ceiling).
Formerly Union Bank. The idea for the design came from
the work of York and Sawyer (Chicago).
Upgraded B to A 21.7.88
Information by courtesy of Buildings of Scotland
Research Unit. Gomme and Walker 1968, pp. 228, 295. Doak
(ed) 1977, No 171. S R Archives, D of G 1925/385.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).