261 ST VINCENT STREET, ST VINCENT STREET CHURCH (ORIGINALLY UP, FORMER UNITED FREE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND, NOW FREE CHURCH) (Ref:33150)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5831 6555.
Alexander Thomson (A and G Thomson) 1857-59. Greek Revival individually interpreted. Rectangular temple plan with lower aisles raised on full-storey podium containing halls and other apartments with graduated
plinth; tall rectangular tower at NE, linked to lower section and breaking into main body of church behind temple front. Ashlar. Hexastyle fluted Ionic temple fronts to N and S; entablature; pediment with antefixae and acroterion; dwarf-pilastered clerestory with ramped
blind openings to returns; pilastered aisles.
Ground floor outer bays: symmetrical anta, pedimented doorpieces set in die walls with linking entablature; dwarf pilastraded narrow windows in central bays.
W RETURN TO PITT STREET IN SLOPE OF HILL RISING TO FULL BASEMENT: recessed, consoled side entrance; ground floor continuous architraved small windows with paterae repeated at rear elevation. Pedimented doorpiece set in glazed pilastrade to rear elevation.
TOWER: banded ashlar; ramped openings with recessed, anta mullion; oblong openings with anthemion on panel. Consoled recessed panel; clock faces; ramped door in each direction; pinnacles; bell-shaped cupola on squat column colonnade, upper part open ribs.
INTERIOR: unusual internal arrangement - the floor of the church is contained in the upper part of the substructure, only the gallery level and above are within the "temple". Galleries and clerestory supported
on stylised Greek cast-iron columns; end walls with pilaster decoration; pulpit set in panelling; coffered ceiling decorations.
Built as United Presbyterian Church. From 1890 to 1929 it became a United Free Church, latterly Church of Scotland and now a Free Church. It is the only complete church by Alexander Thomson to survive.
Gomme and Walker 1968 pp 129, 131-4, 140, 295.
J Mordaunt Crook ... THE GREEK REVIVAL McFadzean THOMSON p 102-105.
Doak (ed) 1977, No 64.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).