115, 117, ST VINCENT STREET (Ref:33138)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5878 6543.
John Burnet Snr, 1870. Italian Renaissance commercial
building. 3 storeys and basement, 7 bays. Polished
ashlar; rusticated with voussoired lintels ground floor.
Outer distyle porticos with composite columns (polished
granite) on high pedestals, stone steps rising through,
arched entrances with fanlights, modillion cornices. 5
inner windows simplified cornice linked to porticos.
Plate glass sash and case windows in architraves at
upper floors. 1st floor: balustraded balconies
breaking forward over porticos and in 3 central bays on
sculpted figurehead consoles; semi-engaged Corinthian
colonnade breaking forward to segmental pedimented
aedicules with sculpted tympana in outer and central
bays. 2nd floor: windows in shouldered and lugged
architraves on cill band. Incised eaves frieze, stylised
modillion cornice advanced with coupled consoles at
ends. Solid panelled die parapet with swagged pyramidal
Built for Union Bank.
Upgraded B to A 21.7.88
Gomme and Walker 1968, p 295. B N 1870 p.293.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).