23, 25 ROSE STREET, ST ALOYSIUS' CHURCH (ROMAN CATHOLIC) (Ref:33115)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5857 6601.
C J Menart, 1908-10. Neo-Baroque Jesuit church with tall campanile at NE corner. Nave, transept, side aisles. Polished ashlar, rusticated base, plinth advancing to podia. Giant order of tetrastyle fluted Corinthian pilasters to entrances at Rose Street and Hill Street with central corbelled elliptically-headed, keyblocked light; narrow, round-headed aisle-lights to return elevations; ground floor cornice; continuous die parapet with balustrades; architraved, console keyblocked, elliptically-headed clerestory windows set in linking graduated string course; mutule cornice. ELEVATION TO ROSE STREET: plain boundary wall at head of double, return staircase 3 entrances with pilasters or semi-engaged columns supporting lintels; panels above with egg and dart surrounds, gold lettering DIVO ALOYSIO SACRUM; sculpted panels at capital height; central sculpture above window; outer bays small, plain aedicule lights. Plain domestic block with linking string courses to SW return. Rusticated wall with outer, corniced piers, die parapet with balustrades. ELEVATION TO HILL STREET: projecting transept/entrance bays to W with central segmentally pedimented, pilastered doorpiece. CAMPANILE: plain with recesses panelling to 2nd stage; segmentally pedimented, keyblocked, louvred bellcote; open aediculed final stage; gold ball and cross finial. Concrete roofs and cuploas. Wrought-iron railings and gates. INTERIOR: nave arcade. Richly decorated side chapels.
Notable for its use of concrete roofs.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Upraded B to A 21.7.88
S.R. Archives, D of G 2/2287 3 Sept 1908.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.