16 ROBERTSON STREET, CLYDE NAVIGATION TRUST (Ref:33113)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5858 6496.
Sir J J Burnet. 1883-6 N section. 1905-8 corner with
Broomielaw. Beaux Art Renaissance with fine sculpture by
Albert Hodge. 3 tall storeys, basement and attic.
Polished granite base, rusticated ashlar to ground and
1st floors, polished above.
1883-6 SECTION: 5 N bays in Robertson Street, round-
arched openings to ground, 3 central form main loggia
entrance flanked by 2 boldly modelled projecting ships
prows, pedimented 1st floor, tetrastyle temple
frontispiece above with exotic composite capitals and
elaborately sculptured pediment with crowning Neptune
set-piece. Mullion and transom 2nd floor windows, taller
1905-8: 4 bays attached to S gable following 1883-6
designs with imposing circled corner with pilastered
drum, dome and crowning cupola. Details similar to
earlier block; engaged columns paired at angle with
oculus over each 2nd floor window, entablature much high
quality sculpture in capitals and bold sculptural
decoration at upper levels including figures of Watt,
Telford and Henry Bell (commissioned 1907) 2 massive
sculptures frame dome (1908).
INTERIOR: Exceptionally fine Edwardian interior work in
main rooms. Ionic dome detail of loggia continued in
entrance hall; at rear tall business hall with engaged
Pascal-type banded Doric columns flanking angles, boldly
coffered ceiling. Stair: ceramic tiled walls, cast-iron
balusters with regular out-flankers (braces) in similar
elegant design, screen at 2nd floor (now filled) leading
to elaborate 8-bay corridor (off-set at S) with
pendentive domes on engaged columns (subtle variation in
TRUST HALL: circular meeting hall, domed, 3 windows at
street angle, opposite 3 boldly columned bays with
nautical details, stencilled decoration; floral swagged
plasterwork in dome; stained glass in upper lights. Board
Room: tall room in centre of original frontispiece,
panelled for approx 10' with embossed paper to upper
walls, painted and panelled ceiling; large sliding doors
with elaborate hinges to rooms at either end; ship over
chimneypiece and original screen (could be raised and
lowered); stained glass in upper lights. 2 committee
rooms and dining room handsomely detailed, panelled etc.
All rooms contain original furnishings. Tall brick flue
with corbelled coping.
Illustration in THE ARCHITECT 1888 shows projected
campanile instead of dome finally built. Watercolour by
Jules Lessore. Original section cost $25,000.
RIBA Fellowship Nomination Papers 29 Nov 1897. Drawings:
1906-8 with Clyde Navigation Trust. Information by
courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. Beattie,
THE NEW SCULPTURE 1983 p 245.
Gomme and Walker 1968 p.299.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.