167 RENFREW STREET AND 11, 15 DALHOUSIE STREET, GLASGOW SCHOOL OF ART (Ref:33105)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5843 6595.
Charles Rennie Mackintosh, (Honeyman and Keppie), E section, 1897. W section, 1907-9 (Honeyman, Keppie and Mackintosh). Art Nouveau. 2 storeys and basement; 4-storey return and S elevations. Polished ashlar, harled rear elevation, snecked rubble returns.
N ELEVATION TO RENFREW STREET: 8 bays, arranged 3-1-4 with single bay entrance at head of steps oversailing glazed basement area. Entrance with sculpted architrave, stylised cornice raised in centre with insignia; canted window to left with multiple geometric glazing bars. 1st floor balcony with wrought-iron balustrade, segmental headed pediment over 2-light window; canted window with independent eaves to left, narrow loop above recessed 2nd floor window with parapet in front; simple, raised polygonal turret to left. Outer bays: plain windows
double-height above ground, with glazing bars. Bold eaves cornice.
E ELEVATION TO DALHOUSIE STREET: shaped parapet wall to No 11; door with block lintel, fanlight above; central canted oriel projecting at 2nd and 3rd floor with varied windows in deep reveals; rising to corniced turret at
eaves. Plain basement and ground floor windows; bipartite window with segmental pediment above at 1st floor. 2 windows with linked, bowed cill at 2nd floor.
W ELEVATION TO SCOTT STREET: 6 bays. Polished ashlar basement and ground and upper floors in 3 W bays, otherwise snecked rubble. Wrought-iron grille to sub-basement. Shaped parapet wall to entrance with boldly
stepped architrave. Ground floor projecting stylised oriel windows with leaded lights. 3 S bays tall narrow leaded windows lighting library; canted, partially glazed sections above.
REAR ELEVATION SW RETURN: partly recessed leaded windows to ground floor, ashlar dressed central section above, centrally glazed overhanging, corbelled corridor. Boundary wall with piers, wrought-iron railings.
INTERIOR: Original Glasgow School detailing throughout. Library to W with original fittings and furniture.
Gomme and Walker 1968 pp 215-18, 294. Howarth "MACKINTOSH" 1977 (ed) p 69-92. Doak (ed) 1977 No 146. S.R. Archives D of G 1/7267, 2/1964.
Billcliffe R, CHARLES RENNIE MACKINTOSH. THE COMPLETE FURNITURE, FURNITURE DRAWINGS AND INTERIOR DESIGN, 1979
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.