63-77 (ODD NOS) NELSON MANDELA PLACE, WEST GEORGE STREET WITH 153-159 (ODD NOS) BUCHANAN STREET, FORMER GLASGOW STOCK EXCHANGE (Ref:33089)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5902 6546.
John Burnet 1875-7; Sir J J Burnet western addition 1894-8 and 1904, re-cast behind the facade. 3 and 4-storey commercial building with modern shops at ground floor. Venetian Gothic. 4 x 9 bays, original block 4 x 5 bays, 4-bay W addition arranged 3-1. Polished ashlar with deep geometric 1st floor frieze.
Corner 4 x 5 bay E block arranged 1-3 and 4-1: boldly arcaded ground and 1st floor with stylised columns and corner pilasters, sculpted roundels in spandrels, bipartite windows in tympana; 2nd floor continuous fenestration behind arcade with sculpted colonnettes, panels in blank frieze above, figure sculpture to N and E at NE corner; advanced entrance bays to W and S, corbel arched balcony with sculpted figure stops at SE entrance, single column supporting corbelled table at NW. Continuous elaborately bracketted cornice; parapet, pierced before windows, 3 bipartite, arched dormers with finials to Buchanan Street, 1 to Nelson Mandela Place, larger dormers with balconies in front over entrance bays, coped gable with finial, 2 bipartite windows with circular window over to NE bay.
Slate roofs of varying heights and pitch.
W BAYS TO NELSON MANDELA PLACE: tall arcade in 1st 3 E bays with slim colonnettes rising through 1st and 2nd floor, geometric frieze, bracketted cornice. 3 window single W outer bay, arcaded 1st floor with coupled colonnettes, slim colonnettes; segmental heads rising through 2nd and 3rd floor, corbelled balcony to 4th floor before aedicule window with tracery as NE block. Narrow additional W bay with similar detailing, corbelled balcony to 1st floor window.
Formerly St George's Place.
B N March 2, 1877. Doak (ed) 1977 No 98, Gomme and Walker 1968 pp 160, 178, 255, 297. BI July 15, 1904. Glasgow City Archives Frank Worsdall Collection, Ref A488 for Burnet's original drawings, dated 1874 and A489 for J J Burnet's extension, dated June 1903. Additional information by courtesy of Iain Paterson, Glasgow City Council.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.