1 LA BELLE PLACE AND 7, 11 CLIFTON STREET AND LA BELLE ALLEE, HINDU MANDIR, FORMER QUEEN'S ROOMS (Ref:33082)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5746 6605.
Charles Wilson, 1857. Renaissance former halls on corner site, now Hindu Mandir. 3 x 9 unequal bays. Painted ashlar; rear elevation droved ashlar. Single volume rectangular plan with 2 storeys at rear, sunk basement. Continuous ground floor, pilastraded arcade, with solid moulded cornice transom with Greek key frieze. Wide arches at La Belle Place and outer bays to Clifton Street headed with stylised acroteria; sculpted tympana to Clifton Street; basement band course linked to ground floor cill band. Eaves entablature with sculpted frieze by Mossman depicting the progress of the Arts, dentil cornice. Parapet with dies. Pediments to N and S elevations, incised with lettering at S.
ELEVATION TO LA BELLE PLACE: central entrance bay with architraved door, panel and lunette above, flanked by 2 oblong stair lights.
ELEVATION TO CLIFTON STREET: 7 central glazed bays; with sculpted tympana surmounted by carved heads; southern entrance bay with chamfered panel above. Plain windows La Belle Allee. Corniced and architraved entry with door and fanlights to La Belle Allee.
INTERIOR: gutted and refitted.
Ashlar gate and railing piers. Cast-iron balustrade. Cast-iron lamp standards.
Formerly Queen's Rooms. Incised lettering in south pediment has: ERECTED BY DAVID BELL OF BLACKHALL MERCHANT IN GLASGOW MDCCCLVII CHARLES WILSON MQR ARCHITECT MOSSMAN SCULPTOR W T EDMISTON WRIGHT WILLIAM YORK BUILDER. Converted to First Church of Christ Scientist circa 1948 and later to Hindu Mandir. Place of worship in use as such.
Plans SNMR dated March 1857; APSD; Doak (ed) 1977, No 79. Gomme and Walker, 1968 pp 98-9, 291. E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: GLASGOW (1990) p279-80.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.