KELVINGROVE PARK, KELVINGROVE ART GALLERY AND MUSEUM (Ref:33071)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5675 6633.
J W Simpson and Milner Allen (London), 1892 (competition) complete 1901; sculpture supervised and partly executed by George Frampton, other sculptors involved, W Birnie Rhind, E G Bramwell, Johann Keller, A McF Shannon, F Derwent Wood, A Falkner. 1, 2 and 3 storeys. Profusely decorated, free classical style museum and art gallery. Mainly symmetrical. Central block with linking sections and pavilions, square towers to angles in each section. Various roof heights, hipped or mansard roofs. 3-storey navicular central block embedded in plan, flanked by tall 4-stage towers at N. Polished ashlar, banded at ground floor, rusticated basement.Elevation to N: 17 unequal bays arranged 1-5-5-5-1, wings and centre raised and projecting, centre raised and advanced in outer bays. 5-storey entrance porch with parapetted side steps with flanking piers. Central figure sculpture of St Mungo in arched, open niche with sculpted spandrels. 1st floor 6-light arched casement windows. Corner tourelles at 3rd floor with central aedicule, broken pedimented window, section above pedimented with open, arcaded roof lantern. Pedimented 1st floor outer bays with figure sculpture above flanked by tourelles.Recessed linking sections with 9-light casement windows divided by pilasters, bracketted cornice, balustraded parapet with obelisk die.Wings: shallow, bowed ground floor window, blind 1st floor, balustraded parapet, thermal window above surmounted by sculpture.W return: detailing as N elevation in 5 bays with flanking towers.S elevation to Argyle Street: as N elevation with differing centre. 3-bay single storey porte cochere at head of steps, arched, divided by pilasters, independent cornice, die parapet. 3-storey, 5-bay main section advanced with flanking towers, bays arranged 1-3-1. Mansard roofs to outer bays, segmentally pedimented dormers to centre flanked by 3-light Tuscan column-mullioned windows.Interior: double volume main hall, galleried, ashlar lined with coupled, blocked columns.
Only permanent building of International Exhibition 1901. Listed category A for high quality of sculpture.
Upgraded B to A 21.7.88. Part of Kelvingrove Park West B group, comprising 10 Dumbarton Road, Partick Bridge over River Kelvin, Partick Sewage Pumping Station, Anderson's College, The Snow Bridge, 2-4 Dumbarton Road Sunlight Cottages, University Main Block and The Cameronians Monument.
S. R. Archives. D of G 1/5371, 1/2627.
S Beattie, THE NEW SCULPTURE 1983, pp.90-98.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.