254-290 (EVEN NOS) HOPE STREET, THEATRE ROYAL (Ref:33061)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/03/1977.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5890 6598.
George Bell, 1867; burnt down 1879, restoration after fire by Charles J Phipps, 1880. Further fire, also rebuilt by Phipps, 1895, in similar scheme to previous one; altered James Miller 1901; restored and new foyer Derek Sugden of Arup Associates 1974-5. 2 and 3 storeys. Plain 24-bay facade, taller auditorium buildings to rear, central entrance bays in 3-bay section. Painted ashlar.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: 3 double-leaf panelled and glazed doors; 1st floor 3-bay arcade with central granite shafted columns, continuous moulded impost band, flanked by pilasters rising to segmental pediment. Above, narrower 3 bays topped by later pediment. Cast-iron porch with glazed pavilions to entrance bays and to stage door.
Variety of glazing patterns. Predominantly timber sash and case plate glass windows with horns, some 4-pane over 4-pane. Slate roofs.
INTERIOR: auditorium with 3 tiers of balconies, the first with a serpentine front and those above horseshoe-shaped, all with highly decorative delicate strapwork and rococo gilded plasterwork. Some cast iron columns removed and cantilevers inserted. Stage boxes divided by giant Corinthian columns. Rectangular proscenium with elliptically arched tympanum. Domed circular ceiling with decorative plasterwork. Grand staircase with elaborate plasterwork, pilastered landings and round-arched openings. Cast-iron balusters.
The Theatre Royal in Hope Street is an important survivor and has an exceptional auditorium with fine plasterwork. It has a complex history. The first theatre on the site, the Royal Colluseum, was built in 1867 by the architectural practice of Clarke & Bell and by 1869 it was named the Theatre Royal. A fire in 1879 destroyed the interior and the building was rebuilt in 1880 by the celebrated theatre architect, C J Phipps reusing the surviving exterior walls. This rebuilding also burnt down only fifteen years later but was reconstructed by Phipps largely to his previous design.
The auditorium had its main entrance on Cowcaddens Road until 1903. A tower with a dome originally stood over the entrance.
It was converted to television studios in the 1950s and suffered a further fire in 1970. Derek Sugden of Arup Associates renovated the theatre as an opera house in 1974-5 and it continues today as the home of Scottish Opera as well as hosting a variety of other types of productions. The magnificent auditorium with its delicate strapwork and rococo-style plasterwork has been carefully restored.
Charles John Phipps (1835-1897) was born in Bath and began his practice there before shortly moving to London where he remained based for the rest of his career. He is likely to have studied theatre design on the continent as part of his training and he became best known for his theatre commissions. A catastrophic fire at his Theatre Royal in Exeter in 1887 where around 150 people lost their lives damaged his career in later life.
References from previous list description: Information by courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit; Gomme and Walker, 1987 (ed); S. R. Archives, D of G 1/3770, 1/8341.
List description updated as part of the Theatres Thematic Study 2010.
2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (1892-7); Williamson et al, The Buildings of Scotland - Glasgow (1990) pp208-09. Bruce Peter Scotland's Splendid Theatres (1999) pp80-86. The Theatres Trust www.theatrestrust.org.uk (accessed 16 March 2009).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.