6 GORDON STREET, PART OF FORMER COMMERCIAL BANK (Ref:33030)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5894 6534.
David Rhind (Edinburgh) 1854-7 for Commercial Bank. Renaissance. Sculpture by Handyside Ritchie 3 and 4 storeys with double-height banking hall at ground floor offices above. 11 bays, arranged 3-5-3 divided by quoins. Central bays raised. Polished ashlar with vermiculated rusticated ground floor and quoins. Roll moulded plinth. Arched ground floor with keystone masks, incised frieze, sculpted cherubic panels of industry; stepped aprons. Dentil band, guilloche frieze. 1st floor: aedicule windows with balconies, Corinthian antae and columns to each section with richly sculpted tympana of cherubim with heraldry over centre bay of each.
2nd floor windows plain with lugged, dropped architraves. 2nd floor entablature with guilloche frieze sculpted panels over quoin strips, dentil band, modillion cornice. Balustrade die parapet to outer bays. Central bays 3rd floor eaves gallery with keyblocked arched windows set in Corinthian semi-engaged colonnade, independent, deeply bracketted cornice.
INTERIOR: by James McCallum 1937 with sculpture by J H Clark. Marble-lined banking hall with shallow coved ceiling. Sculpted tablets of industry in frieze.
This No 78 palazzo style design was influential in commercial buildings of the 1860s and 1870s. Now Royal Bank of Scotland.
Information by courtesy fo Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
Hitchcock, EARLY VICTORIAN ARCHITECTURE, 1954 p 366.
Anderson, COMMERCIAL BANK.
Gomme and Walker, 1968 pp 120-1; 289.
Doak (ed) 1977.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.