71, 97, 99 GORDON ST, AND 16, 18, 50 HOPE ST, CENTRAL STATION & HOTEL, (FORMER CALEDONIAN RAILWAY STATION) WITH 229-263 (ODD NOS) & 194-240 (EVEN NOS) ARGYLE ST, 15-19 (ODD NOS) & 12-24 (EVEN NOS) MIDLAND STREET & 9-17 (ODD NOS) CLYDE PLACE (Ref:33029)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5875 6516.
Sir R R Anderson, 1883-4. Hotel: N European Renaissance style. Extensive additions to Hope Street, James Miller 1900-1907. 4-storeys and double attic; curved, 4-storey, 4-bay angle links to tall tower at NW corner. 11 bays to Gordon Street arranged 2-7-2 with advanced outer bays. 20 bays to Hope Street arranged 8-2-2-6-2. 13th and 14th, 21st and 22nd bays advanced; 1st 10 bays from N in Hope Street as Gordon Street on upper floors; similar treatment in further southern bays. 9th and 10th bays raised one storey. Polished ashlar.
ELEVATION TO GORDON STREET: central bays; ground floor moulded arcade with central panelled pilasters, dentil cornice opens to station concourse; cast-iron porte-coche in central bays with lettering; 1st floor glazed arcade of 2-light windows with colonette mullions; Elaborate sculpted window heads; 2nd floor paired 4-light windows with pilasters, panelled frieze, cornice; 3rd floor repeats second smaller openings, modillion cornice; balustrade, broken by 4-light pedimented dormers raised in centre with 2 additional lights and acroterion. Outer
bays arched windows to ground floor; 2-light, shoulder-lintelled windows above, repeated in curved corner bays above portico; wide columned entrance at angle with cast-iron projecting canopy flanked by architraved single-light windows. Tall, semi-engaged clock tower: arched windows at ground floor; 1st and 2nd floor 4-light canted oriel flanked by single-light windows; paired 2-light windows with pilaster mullions above; sculpted friezes between floors; giant relieving arch with lunette from 1st to 3rd floor; corbelled, balustraded balconies to N and W decorated windows; stylised loopholes, plain frieze and modillon cornice; cupola finial sculpted gable pediments with clock faces.
6-bay, 2-storey SW section: ground floor shouldered arcade; ground floor cornice; 1st floor giant arcade with plate tracery; central Corinthian columns with Doric responds; modillion cornice; balustraded parapet.
INTERIOR: much of the original renaissance detailed interior work survives in the public rooms.
STATION: first part completed 1879, extended to give 13 platforms 1899-1905 by James Miller and Donald Mathieson (engineer); steel work by Motherwell Bridge and Engineering Company. Entered at NE through arches from porte cochere. Train shed glazed roof carried partly on flat roof trusses (old part) partly in elliptical arched steel girders supported by rivetted steel columns and a masonry wall on Hope Street front. On the station concourse finely detailed timber station offices and shops; pilastered or semi-engaged columned walls. Cast-iron viaduct screen SW and SE to crossing over Argyle Street, on corbels with Roman Ionic pilastrade and arched glazing bars.
BRIDGE: Arrol and Co, 1899-1905. Steel construction bridge of straight spans on channelled, granite piers, each with 5 steel caisson foundations. 4 transverse granite arches between piers supported track. Side spans on embankment included in listing. Steel latticework railings. Remains of former bridge sited to E of present bridge, Blyth and Cunningham, engineers and Arrol and Co, 1876-8 (largely demolished 1966-7) comprised of granite drumpiers and cast-iron arches.
Designed for Caledonian Railways as offices, plans changed in course of construction to hotel accommodation.
Doak (ed) 1977 No 113.
Hume, 1974 G74 and G142.
Gomme and Walker, 1968 pp 197, 289.
S R Archives, D of G 1/7680, 2/809, 2/958.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.