120, ELMBANK STREET WITH 71-83 (ODD NOS) HOLLAND STREET AND LODGES, 59, 61 HOLLAND STREET, GATES AND RETAINING WALLS (Ref:33022)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5821 6575.
Main block, Charles Wilson, 1846. Italian Renaissance. 2 storeys, 11 bays; later attic. Ashlar, channelled central piers and quoins. 4 central projecting piers supporting standing figure sculptures by John Mossman of Homer, Cicero, Galileo, and Watt, circa 1880. Arched central doorway and flanking windows with sculpted responds and spandrels. Deep plinth with v-joints to panels below ground floor cill band. Sash and case windows with decorative glazing bars; ground floor windows roundheaded with block surrounds; 1st floor windows on ground floor entablature; arched with panelled spandrels, cornices. Main entablature; consoled cornice, dentil band. Triumphal arches with channelled piers link central block to 4-bay wings, McLure 1875 and 1887 (S wing dated), similarly detailed to main block. 71-83 HOLLAND STREET: J L Cowan, completed 1897. 2-storey, 7-bay block with entrance bay and 2 additional western bays. Ashlar, channelled at ground floor, rusticated quoins. Entrances in outer bays breaking through ground floor entablature with channelled voussoirs, corniced. Segmentally headed ground floor windows. 1st floor windows casements in arched recesses with panelled spandrels, corniced. Modillion cornice above. Blank linking bay with oculus above entrance at No 71 Holland Street. 2 Gibbs surround windows at 1st floor in southern bays; 1st floor cornice, parapet. SCIENCE BLOCK: John Watson (Watson, Salmond, and Gray) 1931-32. Classical 3-storeys, 8 bays to Elmbank Street. Ashlar, channelled at ground floor. Giant pilasters rising from 1st to 2nd floor. Ground floor 2-light windows, recessed with marginal glazing. Entablature; piended slate roof. Linked to northern wing by paired, pilastered triumphal arch. LODGES, HOLLAND STREET: Watson, Salmond and Gray, 1938. French Renaissance. Pair of single storey and attic lodges, pedimented full dormers. Channelled piers with urns flank entrances with Gibbs surrounds, Quadrant screen walls swept to meet retaining wall. Central wrought-iron gateway with elaborate overthrow. Rear elevation: tripartite, pilastered basement refuge with surrounding architrave. 2 3-light windows; 3 dormers. Rusticated retaining walls with ashlar, segmental headed piers, cast-iron balusters. Imperial ashlar staircase with die walls to Elmbank Street.
Formerly Glasgow Academy, became Glasgow High School, now
Strathclyde Regional Council.
Upgraded B to A 21.7.88
Plans NMRS. APSD. BI April 15, 1896. S. R. Archives, D of G.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.