49 DERBY STREET, 22, 30 BENTINCK STREET (Ref:33015)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5711 6607.
James Sellars (Campbell Douglas and Sellars), 1879-80.
Greek Revival church. Rectangular plan on corner site
with temple-front to Derby Street. 6 x 9 bays. Polished
ashlar, banded at ground floor; squared rubble rear and
side elevation. Ground floor cornice. Eaves frieze,
cornice and parapet raised at angles. Slate roof. All
windows casement in architraves with glazing bars.
ELEVATION TO DERBY STREET: full-height tetrastyle Greek
Ionic, portico at head of stone steps with responds;
plain entablature with pediment and acroterion. Single
doorway on back wall with carved frieze and cornice;
frieze above doorway. Attenuated octagonal roof lantern
with semi-engaged Corinthian columns and entablature
supported on square plinth with angle crowning dome.
ELEVATION TO BENTINCK STREET: 2 storeys, 8 full bays and
2 further bays of a low office wing continuing ground
floor window pattern with 3-light Doric pilaster mullioned
window to left of entrance at No 30. 8 bays arranged
1-5-1; ground floor 2 architraved, recessed doorways with
fanlights at No 30 and No 22. 6 small windows with fluted
Doric pilaster mullions in outer bays. 1st floor
pilastrade of 5 bays with tripartite mullioned and single-
transomed windows; painted glass in lower panels; moulded
cills; architraves dropped to ground floor cornice;
paterae frieze in aprons. Aediculed outer bays with
sculpted apron frieze.
Rear elevation: elliptically curved with 5 mullioned and
transomed casement windows lighting gallery.
ELEVATION TO PARKGROVE TERRACE LANE: plain, repeating
Bentinck Street window arrangement.
Interior: Vestibule corniced piers; flat coffered ceiling
with frieze; left and right stone staircase with cast-
iron balusters and carved timber newel posts. Carved
memorials facing main entry.
Elliptical Ionic screen in gallery. Carved gallery front
Carved semi-circular pulpit with aedicule behind.
Tetrastyle elliptical column screen in basement hall.
Basement lit by cast-iron grilles in floor of main church.
Roof lantern free interpretation of Choragic Monument of
Lysicrates. Built as Finnieston Church, now 'CA VA' recording
studios formerly Kelvingrove Parish Church (C of S).
Information from Glasgow City Council (2009) notes that this building has been converted to 18 flats.
A Nov 20, 1880. Gomme and Walker, 1968 pp 155, 147, 288.
Doak (ed) 1977 No 91.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.