179 BUCHANAN STREET, FORMER ATHENAEUM THEATRE (Ref:33004)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5903 6556.
Sir J J Burnet and J A Campbell, 1891-3. Eclectic with Renaissance detail, pioneer vertical (elevator) building. 5 storeys and basement, 3 main bays. Ashlar, channelled at ground floor, metal window frames. Narrow gabled northern stair tower. Broad doorway with mannerist
window above. 1st floor canted balustraded balcony; above full-height (interrupted by small pedimented window) thin pilaster strips between clasping octagonal piers, rising to small turret; irregular fenestration; some steps between pilaster strips; cornice; octagonal
"Tower of the Winds" cupola.
Gabled section to S, 2 windows to ground floor. Giant arched central recess rising from 1st to 4th floor; 2nd and 3rd floor windows canted, 1st and 2nd set into metal frames, 3rd floor stone window, corbelled with central aediculed window, balcony above; octagonal piers at outer ends of balcony supporting seated sculpted figures. 4th floor window set under wide, keystoned arch, aedicule with sculpted figure in niche at gable apex; turret at southern angle similar to that of stair tower.
INTERIOR: squat-columned theatre interior survives, including seating, simple proscenium. Wrought-iron lift shaft.
An important work by the celebrated architects J J Burnet and J A Campbell, the former Athenaeum Theatre was built in 1891-3. The Dictionary of Scottish Architects notes that this was a pioneering 'elevator' style building where height made the most of the narrow Glasgow plot.
It was purpose-built to train drama students and contained a theatre, billiard room, dining room and gymnasium.
References from previous list description: B Oct 21 1893. Doak (ed) 1977 No 126. D Walker in A Service (ed), 'Edwardian Architecture and its origins 1975'. S R Archives, D of G 1/1072
Gomme and Walker, 1968 pp 204-5, 210, 255.
List description updated as part of the Theatres Thematic Study 2010.
2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (1892-7); Williamson et al, The Buildings of Scotland - Glasgow (1990) p249. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 22 March 2010).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.