163 BUCHANAN STREET AND NELSON MANDELA PLACE, FORMER ST GEORGE'S PLACE, ST GEORGE'S TRON PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) (Ref:33003)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5903 6550.
William Stark, 1807. Classical, polished ashlar,
rectangular plan church with eastern main entrance and
3-bay eastern vestibule section facing Buchanan Street
with 4, giant, semi-engaged Doric columns; continuous
plinth. Central consoled, corniced entrance with similar
flanking windows; keyblocked lunette above entrance,
rectangular stairlights flanking; eaves cornice;
balustraded parapet in outer bays. Single bay N and S
returns with altered consoled, corniced entrances with
fanlights and recessed, arched keyblocked window above.
Droved ashlar, side elevations, slightly recessed with
basement and margin-glazed windows to ground and gallery
3-STAGE STEEPLE: 1st stage balustraded parapet, giant
square angle pilasters columns; arched belfrey openings
with louvres, plain entablature. 2nd stage balustraded
parapet, 4 octagonal angle piers surmounted by obelisks
flanking slender upper stage with arched louvred belfry
openings, plain entablature. 3rd stage scrolled angle
supports, clock, to each face, circular dwarf Doric
colonnade surmounted by obelisk.
REAR ELEVATION: 4 bays, blind outer bays; simple, gable
pediment with stack; 2 tall, narrow, round-headed
windows; low wing projecting from central bays.
INTERIOR: Galleried with slim cast-iron columns, flat
ceiling with shallow, transverse barrel vault under
gallery; circular marble pulpit.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Scottish APSD. Gomme and Walker, 1968 pp 69-70, 133n 238,
255. Hay, ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST REFORMATION
CHURCHES 1957, pp 135, 263. Doak (ed) 1977 No 15.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.