91 BUCHANAN STREET (Ref:32998)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5897 6526.
Sir George Washington Browne (Edinburgh) 1896. Flemish gable-fronted commercial building with Francois Ier. detailing. Banded red and white sandstone. 3 storeys and attic with 2 window, elaborately decorated and scroll pedimented, asymmetrical, cantilevered bay on left over original entrance; to right large round-arched ground floor window (now door), cantilevered balcony above with wrought-iron balustrade; 5-light stone mullioned and transomed window above with alternate shaped and sculpted segmental heads. 5 lights at 2nd floor with serpentine heads. Shaped gable with scrolled details and obelisk finials and acroterion, narrow lights arranged 2-1-2, applied pilasters, bas relief sculpture. Corniced end stacks.
Interiors by C R Mackintosh and George Walton (now destroyed) for Mrs Cranston's Tea Room, now Clydesdale Bank (1987).
BA Feb 28 1896; B J April 15 1903. Howarth, Mackintosh p125. Doak (ed) 1977 No 116. Gomme and Walker, 1968 pp 198n, 286. Browne's drawings in Glasgow City Archives, Frank Worsdall Collection, Ref A235. Additional information by courtesy of Iain Paterson, Glasgow City Council.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.