45 BUCHANAN STREET AND 34-50 (EVEN NOS) MITCHELL STREET, FORMER WYLIE AND LOCHEAD'S (Ref:32992)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 23/03/1977.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5896 6517.
3 separate warehouse premises now combined into one department store. S section of Buchanan Street frontage (originally Kemp's shawl emporium) 1853-4, 5 storeys (4th and 5th added by Boucher and Cousland after fire of 1883). Cast-iron framed, pilastered masonry ends, diminutive segmental pediments over end bays. Central section (original Wylie and Lochead building). James Sellars (Campbell Douglas and Sellars) 1884 (rebuilt after fire of 1883). Renaissance 5-storey and attic terracotta frontage, Corinthian pilasters through lower 2 floors, central broken segmental pediment with figures over entrance; divided into 3 bays above ground floor with banded pilasters, 3 windows to each bay, pilastered to 2nd and columned to 3rd; windows in outer bays, bowed at 2nd and 3rd floors; decorated pilasters to 3rd. Balustraded parapet with 3 tall arched dormers, whole surmounted by cast-iron parapet. INTERIOR: cast-iron framed, clad in terracotta, fireproof construction. Long saloon rising 5 storeys, 4 main bays, arched glass roof, mahogany staircase. N SECTION: Boucher and Cousland for Mirrlees, Italianate astylar, 5-storey, 7-bay. Top 2 storeys after 1883 fire. Consoled pediments 1st floor windows, segmental pediments 2nd, architraves 3rd, plain pilasters between 4th; balustraded parapet with coat of arms.
The rebuilding after the fire followed the same basic plan but
used the latest American theories on structural fire protection.
It is possible that only the top 2 storeys of the N Section
are by Boucher and Cousland.
Original Wylie and Lochead building dated 1884 on bracket.
BA May 21 1886 (illustration). Listed A for the importance
of the galleried interior.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.