39-69 (ODD NOS) BOTHWELL STREET, MERCANTILE CHAMBERS (Ref:32980)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5858 6540.
James Salmon junior, (Salmon, Son, and Gillespie) 1897-8. Sculptor Derwent Wood (4 statues in stone). 6 storeys and attic, 9 main bays. Symmetrical Art Nouveau commercial building. Polished ashlar, brick rear elevation. Arcaded ground floor with squat columns and sculpted imposts, modern shops. Semi-circular projecting aedicule above main entrance at No 53 Bothwell Street with canopy supported on barley-sugar columns framing sculpted figure of seated man supported by richly sculpted cherubim brackets. Arched entrance with wrought-iron fan grille; 2 off-centre voussoir blocks, stylised heads. Paired outer bays with vertically linked canted windows, rising from 1st to 4th floor; 1st floor slim stylised columns with exaggerated entasis, supporting window heads with animal relief sculpture; plain windows above; double attic storey supported on giant central sculpted corbel, free-standing columns linked by wrought-iron balustrade; sculpted, pedimented head with finial. 5-bay central section: sculpted heads to 1st floor windows and frieze with raised lettering "Trees grow, birds fly, fish swim, bells ring"; 2nd floor sculpted figures in consoled niches, from left; 'prosperity' 'prudence' 'industry'; 3rd and 4th floors with slim, giant attached stylized composite columns, balcony breaking forward in outer bays with wrought-iron balustrade; sculpted heads above 3rd floor windows in outer bays; 4th floor plain cornice; 4-bay arched eaves gallery with canted tripartite windows; main cornice; corniced dormers with pyramidal slate roofs in outer bays of central section; canted dormer in central bay supported on richly sculpted bracket, with bell-cast roof and finial; above 1st floor, centre of elevation defined by narrow windows to each floor. REAR ELEVATION TO BOTHWELL LANE: 8 bays of shallow, canted metal-framed windows rising full-height from 1st floor; 4-bay raised attic section in centre. 2 arched bays on ground floor with keyblocks, tripartite with pilasters, fanlight with timber glazing bars. Round-headed, incised panel between 2 arched bays with incised Art Nouveau lettering "The Mercantile Chambers" cast-iron columns in basement.
Upgraded B to A 21.7.88
Doak (ed) 1977 No 156. G.A.P.C. December 6 1898. Information by courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. Gomme and Walker, 1968 pp 211, 222, 285. S.R. Archives, D of G 1/5560
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.