181-199 (ODD NOS) BATH STREET AND BLYTHSWOOD STREET (Ref:32960)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5851 6577.
Probably John Baird I, begun 1833; with later block by Andrew Robertson, 1930-2. 3-storey and basement symmetrical terrace block, 24 bays, arranged 3-6-6-6-3; 3-bay end blocks and 6-bay central section slightly advanced. Polished ashlar, channelled at ground floor; ground floor painted. Segmentally arched windows to ground floor; Greek Ionic columned porches to centre (altered) and ends; remaining doorpieces consoled. Mainly sash and case windows in architraves; corniced at 1st floor with consoled pediments to centre windows of end blocks. Bow window with Corinthian column mullions added at No 183. No 181 returns with 5 bays to Blythswood Street repeating main detailing with central pilastered doorpiece; corniced wallhead stack. 4-storey 3-bay ashlar block at 123 Blythswood Street to rear of No 181; further bay to outer left containing stair.
INTERIOR: 1893 Keppie and Mackintosh, Glasgow Art Club at No 185; panelled and carved door behind cast-iron gate; chimneypieces; some leaded glass. Original Ionic screen in entrance hall and in dining room.
Formerly Athol place. Listed A for quality of interior of the Glasgow Art Club. 123 Blythswood Street was designed for the West of Scotland Agricultural College.
Howarth (1977) pp41, 65, 195. Gomme and Walker BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: GLASGOW (1968) pp78, 284.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).