752-756 (EVEN NOS) ARGYLE STREET AND 3, 5, 7 SHAFTESBURY STREET, SAVINGS BANK OF GLASGOW (Ref:32953)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5776 6552.
James Salmon, junior and J Gaff Gillespie (Salmon, Son and Gillespie) 1899-1900, sculpture by Albert Hodge. Art Nouveau. 4-storey and attic tenement on corner with original bank at ground floor, 3 x 5 main bays. Polished ashlar, rear elevation squared rubble.
ARGYLE STREET ELEVATION: recessed entrance pilasters with sculpted, stylised capitals supporting arch recessed coved tympanum with mosaic; wrought-iron gates. 1st bay from W tripartite bowed section with sculpted details as angle bay.
Central bays 1st and 2nd floor windows linked vertically, pierced balcony, sculpted decoration; 2 lights on cill band at 3rd floor. Eaves cornice; 1 small dormer.
Ground floor dentil cornice with giant corbels supporting balcony over entrance. Canted corner bay corbelled out over ground floor with carved panels in outer faces, rising to octagon above eaves; fluted architraves at 1st and 2nd floor, sculpted figures at 1st floor, pediment over 2nd floor window; slim, engaged columns and sculpted panel with date above; facetted dome broken by gablets to alternate faces, weather vane. Windows on upper floors mainly sash and case with multi-pane glazing to upper sash.
ELEVATION TO SHAFTESBURY STREET: ground floor 3 large, arched windows with glazing bars; 2 entrances in N bays with shaped pediments; 1st bay from S diminutive loophole lights to each floor; central bays with 4 stylised pilasters supporting eaves cornice; 1st floor windows segmental or triangular pediments; sculpted blind balcony on corbels at 1st floor central bay.
INTERIOR TO BANK: geometric, marble-tiled floor, compartmented ceiling, large Art Nouveau chimneypiece with marble-shafted columns, sculpted figures over, incised frieze with figures, curved timber mantel clock marked "SB 1906".
Formerly Anderston Branch of Savings Bank. Upgraded B to A 21.7.88
BN Sept 28 1900; Doak (ed) 1977 No 159; Gomme and Walker, 1968 pp.222, 284. S R Archives D of G 1/7340
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.