UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW, GILMOREHILL CAMPUS BUILDING D15, 12 UNIVERSITY GARDENS, SALMON HOUSE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND ENTRANCE PIERS (Ref:32932)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: See Notes,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NS 5677 6682.
J Gaff Gillespie (Salmon, Son & Gillespie), 1900. 4-bay, 3-storey and attic Art Nouveau terraced house with bell-cast turret. Polished ashlar sandstone, channeled at ground floor; ground floor cill band; simple recessed architraves to ground floor windows.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Entrance at base of full-height canted bay, 2nd from N; architraved, corniced. 1st floor round-headed window N bay, solid corbelled balcony in front with decorative wrought-iron panel. Dentil band, cornice over S bays, canted bay breaking through cornice with cill band, multi-light fully glazed attic windows divided by timber strips, projecting eaves, bell-cast roof. Raised section to left attached to turret.
Sash and case windows, multi-pane glazing. Slate roofs; gabled dormer; corniced mutual stacks.
INTERIOR (seen 1988): numerous original features including: oak beamed entrance hall with Art Nouveau and Glasgow Style fittings and panelling. Fretwork door with stained glass panels. Sculpted head stair newels. Further fittings and fixtures in main rooms. Stained glass by Oscar Paterson (1863-1934).
BOUNDARY WALLS AND ENTRANCE PIERS: boundary walls and piers with cushion caps flanking entrance steps; cast-iron railings now missing.
12 University Gardens forms an A-Group with 2-10 University Gardens, 1 University Gardens, 14 University Gardens and 11-13 University Gardens (see separate listings)12 University Gardens is of outstanding interest as a near intact example of the work of a prominent Glasgow architect, John Gaff Gillespie (1870-1926) and of the use of the Art Nouveau, `Glasgow Style' which characterised development in the city during this period. The building is a fine example of the work of one of the members of the so called `Glasgow Style' which also included Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The architectural design is characteristic of this style with a use of e strong abstract forms and clean organic shapes and lines. The design of 12 University Gardens is characterised throughout by the interpretation of this style, particularly in the prominent entrance tower with curved bell-cast roof and in the fittings of the interior. The building also exhibits the interest of the designers who formed part of the Glasgow Style in historic techniques of construction and design motifs. This is particularly evident in the oak beamed entrance hall, and the use of some classical design features to the exterior, such as the dentilled cornice which links the building to its setting adjacent to the classical villa at 14 University Gardens (see separate listing).
Dean of Guild records show that No. 12 was commissioned by William S Workman (of George Smith & Sons, merchants and shipowners) from Salmon, Son & Gillespie. The house was acquired by the University in the 1950s.
Principal works of the Salmon, Son & Gillespie firm include the Marine Hotel at Troon (1897), the Glasgow Savings Bank at Anderston Cross (1899), and Lion Chambers in Hope Street (1904).
Formerly listed as `12 University Gardens'. Originally known as `Saughfield Crescent'.
List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011. The building number is derived from the University of Glasgow Main Campus Map (2007), as published on the University's website www.gla.ac.uk.
Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan: Glasgow, 1909; Mitchell Library, Dean of Guild Collection, Ref. 1/7737; The Studio, (1900) pp. 104-110; D Walker `The Partnership of James Salmon & John Gaff Gillespie' in Edwardian Architecture & its Origins (A Service, ed.), (1975) p. 239; M Donnelly, Glasgow Stained Glass, (1981), p. 25; C McKean, D Walker, F Walker, Central Glasgow: Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland Illustrated Architectural Guide, (1989) p. 187; E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, (1990) p. 348-349; Gordon R Urquhart, Along Great Western Road - An Illustrated History of Glasgow's West End, (2000), pp. 174, 181; R O'Donnell, James Salmon, 1873-1924, (2003) pp. 40-41, 88-89; `University Gardens' buildings search at www.scottisharchitects.org.uk and www.scran.ac.uk (accessed 03-03-2010).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.