UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW, GILMOREHILL CAMPUS BUILDING A4, PEARCE LODGE INCLUDING INTEGRAL GATEWAY AND JANITOR'S HOUSE (Ref:32925)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: See Notes,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NS 5707 6666.
A G Thomson, Architect & Civil Engineer, 1887. 2-storey and attic, rectangular-plan, Baronial lodge and teaching building with single storey former Janitor¿s House adjoining to S. Conical-roofed stairtower to NW angle; decorative mid 17th-century sculptural fragments from demolished Old College (High Street) incorporated into exterior. Polished and droved ashlar sandstone. Base course; eaves cornice; architraved openings with strapwork pediments.
N (UNIVERSITY AVENUE) ELEVATION: arched entrance to loggia with rusticated surround; 2 similarly treated windows to right. 1st floor elaborately sculpted pedimented panel flanked by semi-engaged urns; 2 windows to right with strapwork pediments and massive corbel table in front, similar dormers above; E gable with inscribed panel. NW stair tower with dormers and pepperpot roof. E ELEVATION: arcaded loggia, windows with corbel table above; crow-stepped gable with eaves course and window. S ELEVATION: arched entrance set in relieving pilasters to loggia, carved panel above; regularly placed, strapwork pedimented windows and dormers; lower single storey building to S similarly detailed rusticated quoins, skewputts. W ELEVATION: crow-stepped gable, similar detailing; rope moulding date panel "ANN DOM 1658" tall, narrow corniced gable stacks.
Small-pane timber windows, some sash and case some fixed pane with top hoppers. Pitched slate roof; crowstepped gables; tall offset diamond-plan stacks.
INTERIOR: (seen 2010). Original room plan largely extant. Simple cornicing to most rooms. Stone spiral stair. Large attic teaching room with braced timber roof structure; timber lining boards; plain timber fireplace (blocked); decorative iron vent.
Pearce Lodge is part of an A-Group with McMillan Reading Room, Gatepiers, Railings, Lord Kelvin¿s Sundial, Quincentenary Gates, Hunter Memorial, John McIntyre Building, Thomson Building, James Watt Building and Gilbert Scott Buildings.
Pearce Lodge is of particular significance for the incorporation and replication of mid-17th-century sculptural fragments from the Old College buildings in the High Street (demolished in the 1870s for creation of a railway goods yard). The fragments bear testament to the high quality and magnificence of the Renaissance Palace-style complex used by the University until its removal to Gilmorehill.
The building is named after Sir William Pearce of the Fairfield Shipping & Engineering Co., who provided the money for the rescue of decorative elements of the Old College and their incorporation into the new lodge at Gilmorehill. Alexander George Thomson, the architect and civil engineer, had previously campaigned unsuccessfully against demolition of the Old College buildings.
Most of the decorative masonry fragments are from the High Street frontage of Old College of 1654-60 by John Clerk. The N and E elevations of Pearce Lodge form an approximate reproduction of the old High Street central gateway and its flanking bays with consoled balconies. The Royal Coat of Arms was reputedly added to Old College in 1660 to celebrate the restoration of Charles II.
Formerly listed as `1K Gilmorehill, University of Glasgow, Pearce Lodge, comprising Gateway, Janitor¿s House and Classrooms¿.
List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011. The building number is derived from the University of Glasgow Main Campus Map (2007), as published on the University¿s website www.gla.ac.uk
Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan: Glasgow, 1894; Glasgow University Archives, Drawings Collection Ref. GB 0248 GUA BUL; R W Billings, The Baronial and Ecclesiastical Antiquities of Scotland, 4v; D H Weir, J Veitch, J B Cowan, Memorials of the Old College of Glasgow, (1871); A Ross and J Hume, `A new and splendid edifice¿: the Architecture of the University of Glasgow, (1975) pp. 6-10; A Gomme, D Walker, Architecture of Glasgow, (1987) pp. 45-47; C McKean, D Walker, F Walker, Central Glasgow: Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland Illustrated Architectural Guide, (1989) p. 185; E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, (1990) p. 337; A L Brown, M Moss, The University of Glasgow: 1451-1996, (1996); D Grant, `The Removal of the University of Glasgow to Woodlands Hill and Gilmorehill 1853-83' in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, vol. 135 (2005), pp. 213-258; `Pearce Lodge' search at www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 03-03-2010); `Old College' search at www.theglasgowstory.com (accessed 03-03-2010).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.