93-95 (ODD NOS) HYNDLAND STREET, COTTIER THEATRE COMPLEX, FORMER DOWANHILL CHURCH AND HALLS (Ref:32879)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5608 6695.
William Leiper (Melvin and Leiper), won in competition, 1865-66. Normandy Gothic church, steeple 195ft (60m). Nave, aisles, chancel, transeptal galleries, 4-stage tower, spire. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. Buttressed. Set on plinth.Entrance front: arched, gabletted, moulded doorway with colonettes, at base of tower. Flanking tripartite aisle windows with geometrical tracery.Elevation to E: ground floor plate tracery windows with hoodmoulds separated by buttresses, 5 gabletted gallery windows above with geometrical tracery; raked cill band; bipartite pointed window in S bay with central colonette and responds and zig-zag hoodmould, pointed arched entrance with sculpted tympanum.Tower: 2nd stage plate tracery, 3rd stage blind arcade with tall colonettes, 4th stage bellcote with linked bipartite plate traceried openings, spire with angle lucarnes and plate-traceried openings, tall stone spire. Low, 2-storey halls and offices to rear at N; linking section with lancets in arches at ground floor. N office section with 2-storey polygonal attached turret at NW corner. Hipped roofs with half dormers.Interior: very wide span church, galleried on cast-iron columns, cusped, carved balcony front. Plate-traceried W rose window. Arcaded, canopied pulpit with parapet, bowed in centre with continuous dwarf columns. Columned stair screens to left and right of vestibule. Stained glass by Daniel Cottier, traces of original stencil decorative scheme.
Built in 1865-6 as a United Presbyterian church this was the first major commission for the important architect William Leiper. Designed in a Normandy Gothic style, it has a remarkably striking steeple and it also has a very high quality interior with painted decoration and stained glass by the artist Daniel Cottier. It was converted by the Four Acres Charitable Trust from 1989 into the Cottier Theatre with a performance venue in the church and café/bar in the hall and operated from 1994 to 2004 when a restoration programme was begun. No longer a place of worship.
References from previous list description: Gomme and Walker, 1968, p 291. Information by courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. Williamson, Riches and Higgs, GLASGOW (1990) p356.
List description updated as part of the Theatres Thematic Study 2010.
2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (1892-7); Williamson et al, The Buildings of Scotland - Glasgow (1990) p356. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.