212 SALTMARKET JUSTICIARY COURTS WITH FLANK TO CLYDE STREET (Ref:32844)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5943 6454.
Portico retained from building by William Stark, architect, 1807-1814. Stark's building was largely demolished except for the influential Greek period portico and rebuilt roughly to Stark's designs by J H Craigie (of Clarke and Bell) 1910-1913. Classical Grecian symmetrical 2-storey and basement building with central advanced hexastyle portico, 5-bay flanking wings with taller advanced terminal bays. Polished ashlar, channelled at ground and end and centre bays. Fluted Doric portico with pediment, to centre, pilastered door with projecting lintel, double-leaf doors, fanlight. To lower 5-bay part, central pedimented consoled door- pieces), panelled double-leaf doors, fanlight. Most windows architraved single lights, aproned to ground, tripartite to 1st at end bays. All sash and case windows with 2-pane lower sashes and single upper sashes to ground, plate glass sashes to 1st. End bays with paired giant pilasters flanking windows. Raised band course over 1st, triglyph frieze to end and centre bays, deep plain parapet. Corniced end stacks, slate roofs. Return elevations of 1-bay to N and S, to Clyde Street, 5-bay single storey extension in polished ashlar with advanced bay to left with pedimented doorway. Details as main facade. INTERIOR: Ionic screen vestibule with scagiola columns and panels. Heavy timber doorcases, dentil-course architraves. Inner hall with Flaxmanesque base-relief frieze and glazed cupola.
The most important feature of the building is William
Starks original portico which at the time of building was
probably the second largest in Britain. For a photograph
of the original Stark building see Gommme and Walker
Gomme and Walker 1987, p.70. Doak ed. 1977, 23. S R
Archives: DOG 2/3020; 1910 plans by Clarke and Bell.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.