30-40 (EVEN NOS) ST VINCENT PLACE, KNOWN AS 30 ST VINCENT PLACE (Ref:32841)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5908 6543.
John Burnet Sen, 1870-73. Asymmetrical 7-bay Venetian
Renaissance, 3-storey and basement bank. White sandstone
ashlar, channelled at ground with vermiculated quoins;
mutule cornice above ground, moulded 2nd floor cill
course and modillion main cornice; balustrade and dies
with finials. Main entrance bay wider and slightly
advanced, off-centre to right. Tripartite doorway with
semi-circular door flanked by polished granite columns
with Ionic capitals, heraldic carving, various moulded
bands and Father Clyde keystone. Round-arched window above
set in tripartite panel, flanked by paired Ionic columns
and with broken-open segmental pediment above enclosing
cartouche; figures flanking with further paired outer
columns bearing statue figure groups. 3 2nd floor
windows to entrance bay divided by paired pilasters and
columns. Moulded parapet with shell ornament over main
cornice and broken segmental pediment clasping plinth for
urn; flanking pedestals with urn finials.
Cupped roundels holding masques in spandrels between
round-arched ground floor windows. Outer bay to left with
paired arches, outermost as door.
Round-arched 1st floor windows with dividing Ionic
columns and pilasters, architraved at 2nd with dividing
Corinthian order in similiar pattern. Outer left bay with
paired Ionic columns above ground floor, Corinthian to
Round-arched windows in timber bipartite form with
attached, slender cast-iron column mullions and stone
lintels. Plate glass casement and sash and case windows.
INTERIOR: square 5 x 5 bay cortile Banking Hall, echoing
Brunelleschi's Ospedal degli Innocenti, Florence, at
ground and attached Ionic columns. Similarly detailed
upper gallery with narrower arches and bipartite openings;
modillion cornice; head roundels to spandrels. Segmentally
arched and coffered ceiling with oval glass dome and
decorative leaded glazing, ribbed and glazed oval cupola.
Fine consoled mahogany island counter.
Sculpture by John Mossman, other figures by Grassby.
Original cost, $35,000. Alterations by John Burnet and
Son, 1902, to interior of western bays, and alteration
to westmost doorway.
BN 19th September 1873. BAILLIE 12 April 1871, F Worsdall
VICTORIAN CITY p.60. Additional information courtesy of
Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.