24 ST VINCENT PLACE, CITIZEN BUILDING (Ref:32840)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5912 6542.
T L Watson, 1885-9. Dutch Renaissance, 4-storey, attic and basement office building and printing works. 6 asymmetrical bays. Red Ballochmyle sandstones; brick rear; fireproof construction. Arched openings to ground with doorway off-centre to left; 2-leaf panelled doors with fanlight. Ground floor bays divided by panelled pilasters; 3 right bays with Corinthian detailed treatment to portico, ornately carved columns. Roundel freize above ground floor, with CITIZEN OFFICE in roundels of right half. Mullioned and transomed bipartites at 1st and 2nd floor, with 2 canted bays off-centre to right at 1st floor. Consoled balconies to 2nd floor flat windows and above canted bays. Ornate frieze above 2nd floor, broken by pedimented panels over each window. 4 depressed arches with recess windows to 3rd floor, with elaborate carving to dividing piers and spandrels. Corbelled clock to outer right at 3rd floor with 2 faces, and single window to outer left with segmental pediment. 1 dormer to outer left with broken segmental pediment; 2 stepped and scrolled gables at centre and right with round-arched bipartite windows flanked by slender columns. Octagonal turret with arcaded and leaded cupola to outer right. Modern small-pane timber glazing at ground; plate glass casements above slated roofs with clay ridge tiles. CITIZEN LANE (REAR) ELEVATION: asymmetrical with bipartite windows and 2 wallhead gables. INTERIOR: simple coffered ceiling to main office, pilasters with ornate capitals; panelled ingoes to round- arched windows.
Commissioned by James Hedderwick and Sons as EVENING
CITIZEN newspaper offices. Early and striking design in
red sandstone construction, enhanced by the white faience
and sandstone of flanking buildings. Carving by James
Hendry. W J Anderson draughted the ground floor in his
time as office assistant to T L Watson.
BA 31 May 1889. BN 2 January 1891, ACADEMY ARCHITECTURE
1893 p.69. Hume 1974, p.210. Worsdall VICTORIAN CITY p.61.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.