12-16 (EVEN NOS) ST VINCENT PLACE, ANCHOR BUILDING (Ref:32839)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5913 6541.
James Miller, 1906-7. Edwardian Renaissance detail, 7-storey
and basement, 7-bay commercial building. Elaborate Carrara
wear, faience facade; brick side and rear. Round-arched
doorway at centre with masque keystone, putti in spandrels
and Ionic columned, segmental porch; large rusticated windows
flanking with Mercury-masque keystones; corniced Ionic porch
in each outer bay with cartouche above. Consoled balcony to
2nd floor with gilded shields; 3 centre bays at 2nd floor
(framed) with channelled pilasters and forming plinth for
tripartite recess of 3rd, 4th and 5th floors, divided by
giant order Ionic columns; dentil cornice; balustraded eaves
gallery with 3 column-framed openings to centre 6th floor
windows. Simplified outer bays.
ANCHOR LANE ELEVATION: 6 irregularly spaced bays, with faience
facing to outer left bay including moulded panel of windows.
Large multi-pane metal-framed windows in remaining bays with
dividing brick bands.
CITIZEN LANE (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular openings with large
windows detailed as Anchor Lane elevation.
Small-pane sash and case windows. Decorative wrought-iron
2-leaf gates and overthrow to main entrance, and railings to
INTERIOR: No 12: entrance hall with fine oak woodwork including
wainscot panelling, and segmental panel with fluted Ionic
columns and cartouches surrounding marble chimneypiece;
exuberant 18th century style plasterwork with wreaths,
modillions and swagged fruit. Interiors of W offices modernised.
Built for Henderson Brothers of Anchor Line, hence the
nautical emblems, seaweed an shell details, modelled by H H
Martyn of Cheltenham.
B J 28th November 1906. B 29 June 1907. Further information
courtesy of David Walker.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.