17-29 (ODD NOS) ST VINCENT PLACE, SCOTTISH PROVIDENT INSTITUTION (Ref:32836)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5910 6537.
J M Dick Peddie, 1904-8. French Renaissance commercial building. 6-storey, 2 attics and basement. 13-bay, with outer 3 bays each side advanced. Cream sandstone ashlar; channelling with rounded arrises at ground and 1st floor. Large segmentally pedimented porch oversailing basement at centre, with coupled Doric columns on polished granite bases, adjoined to basement area balustrade. Balustraded steps oversailing basement to subsidiary architraved and corniced doorways. Similar to outer right bay. Keystoned round-arched 1st floor windows, divided by brackets of 2nd floor balustrade, "Scottish Provident Institute", in gilded letters, emblazoned at centre. Consoled cillswith panelled aprons to round arched keystoned 3rd floor windows with open pediments. Smaller architraved 4th floor windows. Tetrastyle Ionic columns through 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors in advanced outer bays. Main entablature and with full attic floor above, in-set windows detailed as 4th floor, divided by panelled bays; eaves cornice and die balustrade. Leaded French pavilion roofs (with 2 attics) above outer bays, with oculi. Coped ashlar end stacks. Slate mansard. Casement windows, with mannered glazing E elevation to North Court: main facade continues to 1st return bay then very simplified. REAR ELEVATION: glazed brick, modern windows. INTERIOR: some good woodwork inside.
Building begun in 1904 but not completed until after 1908, when a further Dean of Guild application was made. The rear elevation lowers over the rear of the Royal Exchange Square to S.
Gomme and Walker 1987, p.226.
NMRS Dick Peddie and McKay index.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.