ST ENOCH SQUARE TRAVEL CENTRE, FORMERLY ST ENOCH UNDERGROUND STATION (Ref:32833)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5894 6500.
James Miller, 1896. Flemish Renaissance 2-storey former underground railway station. Rectangular plan; free- standing. Polished ashlar. Plinth, continuous ground floor moulded cill band. Pepper-pot turrets to each angle corbelled out with fluted pilaster strips supported on cill band; sculpted pilasters in frieze; swept roofs, decorative finials; narrow architraved lights to N turrets. Mainly architraved casement windows with geometric glazing bars. Slate roof. Central corniced ridge stack. ELEVATION TO N: central, arched entrance with sculpted hoodmould and corbelled label stops flanked by narrow lights with sculpted architraves; 1st floor pierced balcony on massive corbels, 4 regular lights, outer colonettes supporting sculpted animals; shaped, gable flanked by obelisks and surmounted by sculpted acroterion; aediculed clock. Repeated in simplified at S form with 3 ground floor windows, fluter outer piers, and sculpted gable. WESTERN AND EASTERN ELEVATIONS: ground floor single light window with sculpted architrave flanked by 2-light, stone mullioned and transomed windows similarly architraved. 1st floor central projecting 2-light half-dormer window on massive sculpted corbels, pedimented and sculpted profile flanked by corbelled half-dormers with shell heads and ball finials.
Information by courtesy of the Buildings of Scotland Research
RSA 1906 No 307.
Gomme and Walker 1987, pp.56, 255, 295. Doak (ed) 1977 No.167.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).