QUEEN STREET STATION, TRAIN SHED AND BRIDGE OVER RAILWAY ON CATHEDRAL STREET (Ref:32822)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5920 6555.
James Carswell, 1878-80, executed by P and W MacLellan. 10-bay segmentally arched engine shed over 6 tracks and 4 platforms. Cast-iron columns, with Corinthian capitals to N end Bell-capital columns, supporting lattice beams below Cathedral Street (see Bridge). Delicate lattice arched overall spans 250' x 78' high, glazed with corrugated iron panels at sections.
Decorative fan-glazed ends. Now adjoining modern station
offices to S, SE and SW.
Bridge with wrought-iron lattice girders and parapets of cast-iron basket-arched panels divided by panelled columns and rising to latticed coping; carrying vehicular traffic. Contractors: Smith and Naysmith, Bellahouston Ironworks, Glasgow.
The original station was opened at Queen Street in 1842 by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. The early ancillary buildings have been demolished (see Hume), and the 1880 shed is the surviving representative of the impact of the Victorian railway boom at Queen Street Station; it was built for the North British Railway Company, partly out of competition with Central Station which had expanded by 1879. Arched sheds of note were also to be found at St Pancras, Manchester, and Charing Cross, London; Queens Street is the only remaining large single span overall station in Scotland. The North British Hotel, George Square (now the Copthorne) was opened in 1905, and is
listed separately. The tunnel mouth was relocated northward and Cathedral Street bridge built to permit longer platforms in 1878.
Hume 1974. G33. Worsdall VICTORIAN CITY (1982) p.119.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.